Saturday, December 5, 2009

Winter: Hemmed In

All this sudden snow has hemmed me in, and surprisingly, I feel warm. Typically, I enjoy the roominess of summer; that I am able to go out, lay out on grass, spread. Spring and summer allow me leave the stiff geometry of ordinary living and feel shapeless, large, as if my spirit cannot be contained by my body and needs the wideness of beaches or blankets in the park.

But, as this first snow came down, I felt different. I felt hemmed in, containted. I wasn't slammed with claustrophobia. I am confident the world will spring to life again. But for now, this place, this new shape I find myself in is homey. It feels more like I've been wrapped up, and am still warm in some sort of embrace. This winter room, my spirit, isn't grey, dark, thick with depression, but it is clean, buzzing with a slow kind of energy, and there are lights (lamps and candles and strands of dripping bulbs) dispelling shadows from the corners, compelling them to dance toward the center.

Perhaps part of this "hemmed in" feeling is also coming from considering not applying to graduate school this winter, but waiting. I realized the other day while driving with a friend that deciding to wait to apply, to go off somewhere else and get caught up in writing constantly, trying to fit the program's formula, trying to figure out how to conform to the shape, the style that professors like, that publishers like, feels so right. I am always looking into the future, my mind frantically probing for what will get me to where everyone might think I should be. I am reaching always.

Considering not going to graduate school yet makes me come home. I have to be present, because I have to start living for me, now. Not when I've achieved this or that. But now. As I am. I have to apply for jobs. I have things I need to do. I have writing to continue honing. I have creating to do. BUT, my creating, my art won't be geared for a program. It will be mine. Perhaps I'll get it published. I will try. But, I won't be basing my worth on my acceptance, yet. And perhaps I'll make room for being me for no reason at all. I can lay out my art supplies, play in the words and the paint and the characters and the ink, and just be.

I love the thought that we are valuable regardless of our achievements. Yes, it is good to be active, and to take care of business. It is good to be responsible. I love these things. I like taking care of myself. But, I don't like hanging my worth, my life's worth on whether or not I'm impressing people, whether or not I'm making the grade.

I think of doing things on my own, like taking a bath, or stretching on the floor with a few candles lit listening to music, or painting something random, journaling, going for a walk, and how time spent on such things is not wasted. I am good, still, in my everyday living.

Truth is, I love the adventure, but I don't want the adventure all the time. I want it sometimes. But lately, I just want home. I want curling in warm spaces. I want closeness with sweet people. I want hot chocolate, and a long sweater, and work that doesn't have my muscles contorting, doing unnatural acrobatics beneath my skin. I want books, and baths, and cutting vegetables and smelling them in the oven, their scents breathing into other scents: oregano, garlic, olive oil. I want calmness. I want to feel somewhat enclosed. At least for a few months.

And so this is what has happened: the snow has fallen, winter cupped her cool hands around us and it is not crippling. It is not terrible. It is another opportunity to find something sweet, to stretch blankets around each other, to talk quietly, and appreciate what warmth we are able to find or make. Even this is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment