Wednesday, December 23, 2009

This Christmas: Walking the Walls Down

Today I am sitting in one of my favorite coffee houses, trying to conjure a sense of hope, trying to lift my own spirits and connect with whatever magic it would take to make some of the people I love, and myself, feel secure. I remembered Daisy May's music, particularly songs like, "Like This," and "Simple Secrets of My Heart." They are making their way through the winding tunnels of my spirit, digging down into the sore spots.

I feel like everyone's taking a beating. So much good is running through the air, leaping into our lives, and at the same time, we can't claim it, because there's so much worry, so much insanity, so much that must be cleaned up, repaired, financially supported. It is unfair.

And just as I typed that, one of my best friends and favorite people in the universe came up behind me, and hugged me, and wow...it is so good to know I am loved, and to know that I love so deeply and freely. It's amazing how much love can change you, as cliche as that phrase is. It's true. I am very different, and revel in how many doors have opened beneath my skin.

Which reminds me of why I wanted to write this post in the first place. I've been scanning blogs, specifically maganda.org, where she wrote a letter to her baby son, and at the end, she wrote something about how she loves this holiday because it's when God expresses his big love for us. I don't know why, but my eyes kind of welled up. I don't think I was thinking about God's love. But just the warmth of love in general.

Like, despite all the hardship and restriction, we can still share, and we do. We keep moving, and hopefully we keep moving nearer, exploring and opening ourselves to the gift of other people: their views, thoughts, scars, feelings. Within the past couple of years, after breaking off a rather serious relationship, the word share became such a vibrant, deep, breathing word. It was something I couldn't really do with the person I was with. And so, now, I love that word.

It explains exactly what I want most. To share moments, words, couches, glasses of water, blankets, hugs, bodies, stories, pain, hope. I usually think of it in the future tense as if I'm excited to share, someday. But the truth is, I'm sharing now. In this moment, with Chase, at a coffee shop. Last night with a bunch of charming strangers. With my sister when we both get home late. Sharing stories and poems and questions with David. Car rides and tears and a giant pile of blankets for a meteor shower with Paula. Scrabble boards and hookah and good wine with Laura. Three hour phone conversations with Elizabeth.

I have something magical right now. My life is full and wide and it is so terrifying and unpredictable. But what I know is, I am so happy with what it is right now. I hope for more. I want security and things to keep evolving and becoming more exciting, and more financially stable, but right now, it is still good.

And perhaps Christmas can still mean something for me this year, when I think of it this way. That this abstract concept of getting close, sharing life, risking a little more than usual, really trying to see deeply into another, is something I can't explain without spirituality.

Lately I have felt this huge discomfort with my beliefs. Not the beliefs themselves. I can't even begin to think about them, because I'm trying to stay outside. It's like I'm pressing my arms out, trying to feel my way around these ideas, and I try and keep my heart as far from it as possible. I'm not so good at breaking open. And whenever I begin thinking about my spirituality, give way to the first moments of prayer, begin to disclose some sore spot to someone else, some tender insecurity, I quickly urge the walls up. I lock. I can't get close.

This Christmas, maybe for a few moments, I hope to let myself open up. Whenever I enter prayer, actually go there, lay open and listen, the unexpected happens. I am never berated, and I am often urged, deep in my spirit, not to feel guilty, but to feel strong and able, to feel soft and accepted and lovely. So with God, with some people too, this is what I hope to do: when the stone begins building in my back, muscles stacking like bricks, I hope to breathe slower, walk the walls down with slow sweet silent words, and remember what I want most: to share life, to allow love to move back and forth as it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment